Medical science says that human body produces 4 types of happy hormones/neurotransmitters. And when our body is under producing or not producing those hormones; medical practitioners prescribe external drugs to supplements those happy hormones. They are
- ENDORPHINS: These are strain, pain and fear masking hormones or neuro-transmitters. When a marathon runner is competing Endorphins masks the pain creating a high to complete the run. That’s why runners feel the pain next day or after some hours of completing the run.
- DOPAMINE: Dopamine controls the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. Dopamine enables us not only to see rewards, but to take action to move towards them. Such as when we complete the marathon.
- SEROTONIN: You feel the surge of Serotonin when you receive applause for your achievements. The good thing is that the receiver and provider both feel the surge of Serotonin when applause takes place. Serotonin is a mood enhancing neurotransmitter/hormone.
- OXYTOCIN: This hormone/neurotransmitter is responsible for creating bond between friends, family and loved ones. You feel surge of Oxytocin when you are among the loved one.
The happy hormones are very important for our bodily function and deficiency of these in our body is disastrous such as medically
- DOPAMINE deficiency results in PARKINSON’S Disease.
- SEROTONIN deficiency symptoms are Fatigue when you should feel rested and energized; Negative thoughts with no apparent cause; Mood swings and more.
- ENDORPHINS deficiency causes depression, chronic unexplained pain, and a low tolerance for pain.
- OXYTOCIN deficiency causes generalized depression and anxiety, social isolation, phobias, panic attacks, sleep difficulties, and other common stress related ailments.
So what has the above hormones to do with Toastmasters? Here is what happens in Toastmasters meeting that impacts physiological changes in your body and it’s all towards your healthy well-being.
Let’s evaluate what happens when you visit your Toastmasters club?
- You network and participate in the meeting. You mentor; evaluate or general evaluate the meeting. And all the said activities helps you to bond and bonding creates a surge of OXYTOCIN.
- When you attempt speaking roles – Project speech, Table Topics or Evaluation; there is a surge of fear and excitement and that’s the time body release ENDORPHINS.
- When you finish delivering your speech, Evaluation or table topics that’s the time you feel surge of DOPAMINE.
- And when you receive applause and accolades for your performance that’s the time body releases SEROTONIN.
Those two hours and 30 minutes minutes you spend in Toastmasters meeting are filled with healthy dose of organically produced hormones. Attend Toastmasters and stay healthy.